Friday, March 02, 2007

The week in review

Though I intended to blog the NAWBO Public Policy Conference, the three day passed as though hours and I'm still wrapping my head around all that I learned... Though I don't think of myself as an easily star-struck person, I had a couple of moments of status-related heart fluttering, first as I listened to Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC) who was straight-forward, casual but commanding, inspiring. The second was with Eliseo Medina, executive vice president of the Service Employees International Union - he spoke on immigration including ideas for how to incentivize legal immigration and I tried really hard to look like a big kid when I went to speak with him after his presentation.

Despite being awed by the company, the most important take-away from the event was an feeling of transparency as it relates to our elected officials. While last week they felt far away and inaccessible, I now feel as though calling and requesting an appointment is not only acceptable but well within my reach. One political consultant (a woman who works exclusively with woman candidates out of a belief that the political structure should match the population: 52% women) suggested making ourselves useful to politicians, a la "If you ever need the insight of a woman entrepreneur..."

Of course, I will post as I test these theories of accessibility and there will be a little more about the event in my column next Wednesday. Meanwhile, thanks for continuing to tune in!

No comments: