Friday, March 30, 2007

Violent kids

I used to think that the idea that people, even kids, would ever transfer extreme violence from tv or a movie into real life was crazy - surely people understand that entertainment is fiction, containing no true consequences. But when 10-year-olds are accused of assaulting a homeless man with a concrete block, beating him so badly that he needed reconstructive surgery, I have to finally give in and believe that the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the rest of the organizations listing the detrimental effects of viewing violence must be onto something.

My sister recently pointed out that even during kids shows, commercials for the news depict graphic violence, made all the more frightening for children by the fact that it's local - happening in their very city. I'm not sure what to do about the ads but I'd love some ideas.

No comments: