Friday, July 06, 2007

Rehab for GoodReads?

I'm not on any of the social networking sites. I take that back - I have a MySpace account which I have done absolutely nothing with, so that I can search their database freely. I'm not opposed to them - just don't really see how they fit into my life right now.

But last week, my friend Chelsea sent me a link to GoodReads, a site in which you create reading lists and rate the books you've already read. Each day, GoodReads emails a report covering all of the changes made to the reading lists of the people registered as your friends. Also cool is that the site is linked to Amazon, so the cover art of the books appear in your list.

And now I'm hooked. I have been keeping reading lists sporadically since 2001 (at least, that's the earliest I can find) to combat my habit of forgetting most of a book the second the back cover closes. I've spent hours (and hours) in the last week moving those lists to GoodReads, reviewing my friends' lists, considering organization for my shelves. I should really instruct Rob to go ahead and lock me in a room until the DTs pass if I stop wanting to eat in favor of surfing the site (that really would be a sadly shocking sign).

You can see my profile and books here. And you can become my friend (in a book way - though perhaps not in a catching a beer on a Friday night way... unless I agree with your book reviews...) here.

No comments: