Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Celebrating independence

I woke up this morning with the realization that yesterday was the tenth anniversary of my grandfather's death. It doesn't seem that long. To this day, I'm not positive what he died of, though it seemed to be a variety of things that ended with his body just shutting down. His brother, a man who I hadn't seen in many years, was at the hospital that morning, looking more like my grandfather than the pale, sunken man in the bed. I always thought that being with someone as they died would be peaceful and reassuring but it wasn't - I was left wondering how he could go from living to gone with virtually no change in appearance... not that I really expected one, but the mystery of bodies, souls and life itself were overwhelmingly apparent in that moment.

With my eyes still glazed in tears, Rob and I went to the farmers' market in the hopes of a watermelon and maybe some squash to transform into fritters for tonight's potluck. It was quiet with very few vendors but the atmosphere was joyful and everyone was particularly chatty. One farmer we regularly purchase from tipped us off that he would have the first of his corn crop for sale on Saturday. The Simple Kneads woman appreciated my "Eat Local" tee-shirt.

We sat outside to eat a breakfast of Simple Kneads cinnamon roll (it's all about worthwhile splurges - i.e. Cinnabon will not cross my lips) and a passing woman commented on our happiness. It's a funny thing that Rob and I are often noticed and/or remembered because we are outwardly happy. In a way it's flattering, but mostly it's a sad commentary that we would be noticeable for what should be a common emotion.

Then it was off to the parade to see our friend's creation:
It was the pièce de résistance of the anti-war/impeach Bush and Cheney contingent, along with Cakalak Thunder, of course. I will say that this Mr. Bush received many more cheers and supporting applause than boos - and certainly more than the real Dubya would get these days.

More of Rob's pictures from the parade:


Well, onto more 4th festivities. Don't forget to check out Big Bang Boom at the Children's stage at Fun 4th at 12:15. Go on - if you don't leave now, you'll never make it in time!

No comments: