Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Cutting up a whole chicken

I have to confess that I sometimes use my blog as an electronic filing cabinet, storing links and videos I might want to reference later...

I've always done a disservice to the souls of chickens I've bought whole (and dead and plucked - don't be gross) and attempted to cut into pieces - a terrible guilt to bear. It was quite the relief when a new friend told me about this brilliant YouTube video in which a community college instructor makes the process idiot-proof... unfortunately, these are among the rarely-seen un-embed-able videos in the YouTube library.

Buying whole chickens is certainly more affordable... and dark meat is not the evil we've come to believe it is - when the animals are raised according to their nature. Pasture-raised animals have been shown to have higher levels of those great omega-3s and lower levels of the scary saturated fat that comes of feeding animals foods their bodies aren't meant to process.

So, buy a whole chicken, then watch these videos to cut it into 8 lovely pieces:

No comments: