Tuesday, October 17, 2006

NaNoWriMo

It's almost that time again, when I check the NaNoWriMo website every few days and consider (and reject and consider and reject) signing myself up for their National Novel Writing Month challenge. According to the website:

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.


It's not necessarily supposed to be literature or even particularly readable - the point is just to write your ass off and feel the pride of having done so. I've been considering and rejecting NaNoWriMo since my one and only short-lived roommate tried to talk me into it in 2002. But the fact that I, like many writers, have had a half-written novel on my shelf for a year now, makes forcing myself back into the fiction habit more tempting than ever despite being busier than ever.

Still, I haven't managed to bring myself to click on the "sign up now!" link yet... any other takers? Some people to offer up the shame of inaction in the guise of encouragement?

No comments: