Monday, October 16, 2006

10 lashes for the bad blogger

That'd be me. I have no idea what I've been doing since I got back from Santa Fe but it sure hasn't been blogging... or reading much news, for that matter. This will be a little catch-up post which will hopefully lead to regular blogging again - thanks for sticking with me!

When I last blogged, I was prepping for the Girls Going Places entrepreneurship program which was a smash success. Most of the high school girls there were dressed more professionally than me (even though they said to dress for an average workday, I threw on some fancy jeans and a button-down shirt - not an average work day but also not frightening to small children). We ended up with nearly 100 participants and they were a seriously impressive bunch. Ambitious, smart, creative. I walk away with high hopes for the future of business. I wish there was a way to check back in with these girls in 10 years - I certainly am not where my high school dreams placed me. At 17, we don't begin to know what opportunities we'll run across; in that light, I repeatedly encouraged the girls to stay flexible to whichever way their paths twist.

Saturday, Rob and I attended ConvergeSouth - you can read about it all over the Greensboro blogosphere so I'll spare you a recap except to say that it was fun to meet so many people I have talked (and argued) with online and that though I dig the idea of the un-convention, I thought it was a shame that the journalism slot with John Robinson and Allen Johnson was hijacked by a couple of guys who just wanted to criticize the comment policy on the News & Record letters to the editor section.

A question I would have liked to have raised there, particularly in the opening discussion with Elizabeth Edwards, was how people draw the line with debate on their blogs? I've had this experience with emails stemming from my column more than on my blog, but there are times when I wonder if I should fight my urge to always send a response - which is right around the time when I start to wonder if the debate I'm having is productive or just for the sake of arguing... I don't have much patience for arguing for arguing's sake. What do you think?

Alright - back to work. This evening, I'm meeting a woman about the paperwork details of getting her landscaping business off the ground. It still cracks me up that I'm a resource for stuff like that...

No comments: