Monday, August 14, 2006

US Department of Peace

I was early for a lunch meeting at Sweet Potatoes in Winston this past Friday. On my way to the coffee shop next door, I noticed Kindred Spirits, what I call a woo-woo shop - you know, goddesses, fairies, groovy hemp clothes - a lot like Eclectic by Nature here in the 'boro. What I got out of my shopping trip went well beyond the celtic goddess earrings and Love>Fear sticker.

Turns out, in fact, that owner Arci Edwards is instrumental in the organization of an upcoming Peace Walk and Festival. Arci expects hundreds of people to turn out for the Triad's part in what is a country-wide demand for a US Department of Peace.

If you're anything like me, you're having mixed feelings about this whole idea right about now. My first thought was "great idea - too bad it's a pipe dream." But who knows? Every great movement in this country started as a grassroots movement that grew so large and loud, it could no longer be ignored by our politicians.

It's worth a try.

Click here for more info about the walk and the proposed functions of a Department of Peace.

No comments: