Thursday, August 31, 2006

An invite to Miller and Robinson

After a random comment in my last Miller post about the exciting (and thus far unfounded) possibility of a Bush impeachment hearing next year, Rosh101 posted this excellent question:

Do you know if Miller would support inpeachment?


Which got me thinking: why not invite the candidates to answer reader questions? So I sent this email:

To Mr. Robinson and Mr. Miller:

As you both surely know, blogs have gone from fringe entertainment to a mainstay in all areas from news to industry. Blogs offer a personal and expedient platform for political candidates to communicate their message to increasingly savvy voters.

That said, the readers of my blog are no longer satisfied with the information available through your websites or mainstream media. I invite you to participate in a forum on my blog in which I will collect reader questions, pass them along to you and then post your unabridged, unadulterated answers on my blog.

Mr. Robinson, a quick review of my blog will reveal that I am a supporter of Mr. Miller. However, the majority of my traffic comes from my News & Record column and the Greensboro 101 aggregator, neither of which have a political affiliation, ensuring that a bipartisan readership will be exposed to your answers. Moreover, preaching to the converted does not an election win.

Please respond to my invitation by September 7, a week from today, and I will begin to gather reader questions.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

I'll keep you posted if and when I get responses...

5 comments:

Jay Ovittore said...

For one, I don't think Brad should waste his time allowing Vernon to sling mud and avoid issues. I would also like to point out that it will probably be a waste of time, because Vernon doesn't cater to answering the left, he has asked me not to call his office after one call to get his side of the story. And lastly, this story in the W-S Journal tells you about his City Council attendance record: http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128767870210

Jay Ovittore said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah Beth Jones said...

I hear what you're saying - and appreciate the link. I certainly don't expect Robinson to agree to participate. But the point is to take a step toward making our elected officials, and those running in the hopes of becoming such, more accessible to their constituents. I'm not looking for a debate; I'm looking to give my readers an opportunity to ask the questions that matter most to them.

Jay Ovittore said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jay Ovittore said...

Sorry about the double posting and removing, my computer is acting funky.

I'll send your link to the Miller campaign, Brad is accessible and wanted to meet the bloggers here in G'boro, he is very active online, and may just take you up.