Tuesday, August 22, 2006

An afternoon on Elm St

As part of our Life Celebration Day festivities, Rob and I took a stroll down South Elm Street, long one of my favorite parts of Greensboro. As a teen, I would stroll downtown, clicking pictures for my high school photography class. I once took a picture of Jerry at Fordhams - he hung it on the mirror and gave me free root beer floats until the place closed. I'm always hopeful that I'll walk by someday and it will have magically re-opened with Jerry behind the counter.

No such luck today but I did have a float almost as good as Jerry's at Fincastles. We've been curious about Fincastles but are rarely looking for a burger. This was worthy of the splurge: great burger, slap-your-mama onion rings and an atmosphere that suggests it's the place to hang for Greensboro's insider info.

A peek into the lobby of Triad Stage showed an envelope stuffing campaign that makes us hopeful we'll be receiving our season tickets any day. This is our third year of preview night season tickets - the best deal around. For the price of a movie ticket, you get live drama - really, really great live drama. Next season starts the first week in December with The Diary of Anne Frank, coordinated with One City, One Book. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Anne's story - the traditional sterilized version or the real girl.

Last, but far from least, we stopped into a new boutique in the newly remodeled space on the corner of Elm and McGee (across from the Burrough's entrance) called Just Be. Handcrafted jewelry, bags, etc, conscientiously purchased by a charming owner whose 4-year-old daughter sells her drawings in the store to benefit animal charities. We got a felt-decorated onsie for Rob's niece who is due next month, and, naturally, a piece of art hand crafted by an empowered child.

It's a good day to be alive - and we're just getting to my favorite part: cooking with Rob. It's a special treat to share my favorite hobby with my favorite person...

No comments: