Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The little things I love, part 2

I recently took the train to Richmond where Rob was working at the time. For whatever reason, I had decided I would keep my headphones on and my nose in a book and completely ignore the people around me. By the time I left the train, I knew most of the life story of the guitarist for the band, The Double.

I tell this story only to illustrate that I'm a bit of a compulsive people person which totally conflicts with a feeling I have increasingly often with increasing intensity: the immediate need to get out of a public space and into the solitude of my home.

Today was a good example of why: it all started at a walk-up ATM where I was making two deposits, one for us personally and one for our business. As is my habit with multiple transactions, I let a women who walked up immediately after me go first. She said nothing and used the ATM. I could hear my inner mumbling negotiating with my lips, "Just say it! Just say, 'There's something my mother used to always say in situations like this - thank you!'"

Surely, though, she would give me a courtesy smile or thank you or some sort of human acknowledgement when she was done. But no, she just left. Which was a shame because it meant that I was already on the verge of mumbling aloud as I walked across the parking lot to the most notorious of anger-inducing stores: the grocery store.

So, I decide to try what I always try in these situations which is to channel the Dali Lama. Every time a shopper would cut me off, I'd smile at the next one in the hopes of sort of inner peace. It never works for more than a minute or two at a time but what a minute!

I was losing my zen smile right about the time the 5th person cut me off with no acknowledgement. It was then that I turned a corner and just about walked face first into a preppie, pimply teenage boy, who - wonder of wonders - gave me a big smile and took a big step back so I could get by. I could have kissed that kid's pimply face!

It's the little things...

No comments: