Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Life Celebration Day

Oddly, Rob and I each had near-death experiences 10 years ago: my attack in August and his heart attack in December. We wouldn't meet for three more years; we wouldn't start dating for three more years after meeting.

Up until a couple of years ago, we would spend our respective anniversaries moping around, pretending that it didn't bother us and that we didn't want to talk about it. After getting married and surveying this amazing life we've built together, we decided we were foolish for not celebrating having survived.

I've often thought that part of why we work so well together is that we have both had that moment where we thought we were moments away from dying. I have found over the years that often, when I'm strongly drawn to someone, it turns out they too have had a near-death experience. It changes us though after 10 years I still can't place my finger on quite how.

Anyway, today is for celebrating the 10 bonus years that could have easily never happened. Rob took the day off work so we can hang and cook and just enjoy being alive.

I hope you'll take a little time to enjoy being alive today. Life is so precious and delicate.

Happy Life Celebration Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea!