Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The road to citizenship

I had heard that the naturalization test to become an American citizen was packed with stuff most natural-born Americans don't know, so I was tickled when MSNBC had a sample test on its website today. I got a 75% though I admit to having guessed on a couple of the questions I got right and certainly would have failed miserably had it not been a multiple-choice but a fill-in-the-blank, which it is on the real test.

I had also heard that the fee for applying for citizenship is pretty steep, considering the majority of immigrants come here to work at bottom-basement jobs. Sure enough, the Application for Naturalization is $330 with a possible additional fee of $70 for biometrics, ie fingerprinting. Seriously.

As I was puttering around the web looking for all of this, I couldn't help but wonder if by simply accessing the US Citizenship and Immigration Services webpage, I've gained an extra redflag from the NSA. I'll be sure to report back in after they raid my house...

1 comment:

Eugene B. Sims said...

I too hit the bar you set at 75%. It was more of a challenge than I realized.