Friday, June 09, 2006

Hate in my 'hood

I guess now that the Anti-GLBT Marriage Fiasco predictably failed, immigrants are back to being the scapegoats of choice...

I love our neighborhood - it's multi-ethnic, dark at night, very green. Other than the guy who keeps a sporting goods store worth of crap on his lawn and the lady who either screams at her kid in the driveway or in the house but with the windows open, it's pretty peaceful and quiet. Until yesterday when a neighbor posted a sign in their yard reading:

Stop the invasion: Secure our boarders
In the background is a little outline of the American boarder at Mexico. Oddly, no Canadian boarder, which, in my understanding, is a favorite entry point for many terrorists. Also, no New York boarder which is where my immigrant grandparents entered the country, along with my Middle Eastern (I've easily met 5 who aren't terrorists - I hear of a 6th in Rhode Island) friends.

We used to hang out with this Mexican guy - we haven't seen him in a while but only due to the usual friend-drift that so often happens. Anyway, when I first met him, I asked him where he was from and he didn't want to tell me. Finally, he whispered Mexico.

Alternately, a friend of a friend was Peruvian, a fact he would mention every other sentence, to ensure that no one would confuse him for Mexican.

Remind me again why everyone hates Mexicans?

2 comments:

Eugene B. Sims said...

I don't understand the whole thing either... But I am against illegal immigration whether it's Canadians, Europeans, or Mexicans. And since the majority of illegal immigrants that suck up Federal assistance (schools, health care, and VIC) are Mexican, it's easy to see why folks tend to dislike them.

If we should hate anyone... It should be the soccer loving and sandal wearing Eurotrash.

Thank God the U.S. got booted out of the World Cup.

Eugene B. Sims said...

Stupid fingers and brain... I meant WIC instead VIC.

Damn Harris Teeter!