Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hurrah for friends

I worked at Lede today, a cozy, slightly sloping space where Tamara, Diane (we simply must get her a blog) and I work. Harvey, a technology consultant for Jones CAN, often works in an adjacent space with the quasi-privacy of a wood screen. A cozy space for a cozy crew of people who were friends before we were officemates. (Diane and I were actually briefly officemates first, just long enough to meet...) Often, it's work where tasks become annoying and we get stressed out and all of that fun stuff. But I'm also very often aware of what a charmed situation it is - a work environment filled with support and fun and tons of productivity (I have serious needs in the productivity department.)

I was leaving the office, en route to my charmed home, surrounded by friends - the kind of people who inspire me toward the best version of myself - and it seems strange that I would still feel a little sick to my stomach about an anniversary of an historic event. That, however, just is what it is.

What has struck me even more this anniversary season (if only it were really a one-day event) is that I'm often torn between doing just this (spilling my guts) and being politely demur on the topic. Miss Manners would have us never discuss such things, except perhaps with one's rabbi.

Okay, there is something a little wicked about telling a person about a traumatic piece of history. They don't know how they're supposed to react and that's uncomfortable - I get it. But if we talked about it honestly, maybe we'd feel less alone, less defective... couldn't hurt to try.

But: hurrah for friends! At the end of this cozy workday, Tamara and Diane each found a quiet moment to acknowledge my anniversary and offer an ear should I want it. The friendship of truly good people is an amazing and healing thing.

No comments: