Friday, August 24, 2007

College bound

The oldest of the New Kaplans (I like to think of my family like recipes of Coke, where me, my sis and my bro with the same two parents are the Kaplan classics and our younger half-bros are the new recipe) is, at this very moment, on the road to his new collegiate home in Pennsylvania.

My college career was so unconventional, I have no idea what he's going through - I worked for a year so I could afford an apartment and bypass dorm living, and I seem to have done my collegiate partying during high school which ultimately freed me up to spend my college years, gasp, studying. What can I say? I'm weird.

My brother, Max, though, is certainly distinctly himself but I wouldn't use the word weird to describe him. Smart, thoughtful, loving, kind, adventurous, really tall - I'd use all of those, but probably not weird.

So though there are a lot of pieces of Max's experience that I can't necessarily relate to, I hope that there are others in which his experience will be one of growth, as mine was, though perhaps in different ways: I hope he realizes just how unique and vastly capable he is, and how limitless his potential is, and how attractive he is to the co-eds... I hope he spends these next however-many-years being bold and having fun doing so.

No comments: