Monday, June 11, 2007

Old tomato plants

My uncles own a car dealership in Virginia, a drive that tends to be worth it whenever my twitchy little car has a cough. I was rambling on to one uncle about (what else but?) food: local food, CSAs, heritage vegetables... when one of his sales guys says, "You like old tomatoes?"

Which, honestly, took me a little off-guard. Old breeds, sure; old, moldy fruit, though?

Turns out his father-in-law has been growing tomatoes most of his 85-years and has some interesting but as-of-yet unidentified (to me, at least) varieties - apparently some are pink. Each year, the tomato gardener shares his plants, contributing to the beautiful irony that in food, we must eat the species in order to preserve it.

I was lucky enough to be offered the second-to-last milk jug/planter stuffed with wonderful smelling tomato plants. I'll try to post pictures as the varieties reveal themselves.

No comments: