Sunday, April 22, 2007

Insight from Killian

Joe Killian, embattled (I just wanted a chance to use the buzz word of the minute) News & Record reporter, has some interesting insight on the protest from a reporters perspective. Despite what the Gathering of Eagles may think, and despite the fact that I sometimes do journalistic freelance work, being an opinion writer is a world away from being a news reporter... and despite recent criticism of Joe's coverage of the protest by members of (apparently) both sides of the debate, organizers would do well to read the comments section of his post to learn more about how to shape such an event to have more impact on the way it's covered.

6 comments:

Connie Mack Jr said...

Well praise the Greek Gods, Oops make that Geeks blogger for Joe rookie effort to start a riot in the name of free expression and free speech. I think Joe next reporter pro-war assigment should be a story about the Great Wall in Baghdad. Surely his results would be much better than Greensboro.

Sarah Beth Jones said...

I'm not sure if it's the missing punctuation or the free verse style, but I don't understand enough of what you're saying to respond, Connie...

Joe Killian said...

Take a deep breath and try writing a complete sentence in English for me.

This "all your base are belong to us" version is giving me nothing beyond the fact that you don't seem to like me. Which would not exactly put me on an exclusive list...

Connie Mack Jr said...

I'm not sure if it's the missing punctuation or the free verse style, but I don't understand enough of what you're saying to respond, Connie...* Beth

Okay 9 dead Americans and 20 wounded yesterday in Irag and another 2 dead American today. Doe s that make a point in verse style?


Take a deep breath and try writing a complete sentence in English for me.* Joe

Not really Joe! If you speak or write in early western Roman Latin about wars and the rumors of riots and barbarians at the gates of Baghdad, tnan we might be able to communicate without breathing.

This "all your base are belong to us" version is giving me nothing beyond the fact that you don't seem to like me. Which would not exactly put me on an exclusive list...* Joe

Joe! I love everybody until they try promote something other than what it is? The world is full of riddles as was the DiVinci Code. I didn't find your name on any of the War mongering Knight's Templars exclusive list for up and coming Scribes.

Joe Killian said...

I'm beginning to think the problem here is that I'm not wearing a tinfoil helmet...

Sarah Beth Jones said...

Yeah, I think I'm going to take Kenny Rogers' advice on this one and know when to fold 'em...