Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Restoring the Constitution Act of 2007

It's not often these days that a new story gets me all misty-eyed in a good way - but Senator Christopher Dodd (Conn) has me pulling my hankie out for joy.

The Restoring the Constitution Act of 2007 would counteract many of the shameful distortions of the Constitution put into place by the Military Commissions Act of 2006. As you may remember, the Military Commissions Act gives the President open authority to decide who is considered an enemy combatant and therefore stripped of all rights, including habeas corpus which says those charged with a crime have the right to their day in court so it can be determined whether or not they are be imprisoned justly.

Habeas corpus is only there to make sure individual civil liberties are not trampled in the name of, say, protecting our country or the whim of our President. No biggie.

So a big Valentine's cheer for Senator Dodd - I most likely won't vote for him for President but I sure will give him a big thumbs up!

4 comments:

Roch101 said...

I know very little about Dodd, but the few nuggets I've heard lately, this one included, I've liked. I'm curious, why are you likely not to vote for him?

david said...

there is also a citizens movement to restore habeas corpus

http://projecthamad.org

and Brandon Mayfield, the lawyer wrongfully incarcerated for the Madrid bombings is challenging the U.S. government in court over the Patriot Act (warrantless searches of one's home and warrantless electronic surveillance). he has done a blog entry on this at:

http://projecthamad.org/blog

Comrade O'Brien said...

Attention Comrades,
We've been protesting the MCA longer than Senator Dodd! (but possibly not as long as David)
Check out our Orwellian project at http://ministryoflove.wordpress.com.
Regards,
O'Brien

Sarah Beth Jones said...

Roch - I haven't found anything I dislike about Dodd yet either but I tend to be pretty pragmatic about my vote - for the time being, I like Obama just as much but I think he has a better shot at winning so he's got my vote... for now.

David and Comrade - thanks for the links - interesting sites!