Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Love letter to (my) Bush

Someone's got a crush on Bush - sadly, it's not a crush on her own bush or any other lucky woman's but, alas, on the president. In her letter to the editor today, Greensboro resident Elizabeth Jones blames dishonest polling (an issue, to be sure) on Bush's dramatically dismal popularity ratings, saying that we the people should, "Appreciate a good man when you have one."

Amen, sister. I appreciate my sweet husband and his hard work and devotion, and I appreciate Dr. King and the sacrifices he made to move America toward it's greatest potential. I appreciate my father and grandfathers, my brother-in-law and younger brothers. Hell, I appreciate Ben & Jerry for the wonderful products they produce.

But can I appreciate a man who believes that the lives of soldiers and Iraqis are a fair trade for a great deal on oil for his buddies? A man who continually spits on the Constitution, even as he pretends to defend it? A man who claims to spread Democracy even as he turns America into a fascist state?

Only if he's sitting at a courtroom table, defending against charges of war crimes.

No comments: