Monday, January 15, 2007

Dr. King

A friend and I recently had an extended debate about the way we (as in people in general) treat uber-icons. Specifically, we were looking at society's tendency to sweep the fallible, i.e. human, aspects of an icon under the rug in favor of focusing on their contributions. For example, when all the Little Johnnys and Little Suzies out there spent last week learning about Martin Luther King, Jr., they were learning about peaceful protest and change through a partnership of people of different colors and socioeconomic backgrounds. But did they learn that Dr. King was a womanizer?

My friend would argue that students should learn that Dr. King was not without sin; otherwise they might come to believe that the good Dr. King did came from some superhuman source of strength or will. She argues that knowing his less savory side would show people that they are capable of big things despite their indiscretions.

I agree that knowing the whole person is useful... to an extent... the outer boundary perhaps being when knowing indiscretions detracts from acknowledging all the good. But Dr. King, to me, is an easy example. While I have no doubt that my husband and I would break up in a heartbeat should one of us cheat, womanizing and sexual indiscretions in icons - that is, people I am not directly involved with - is a forgivable sin to me, especially in a person whose goods were so very good. When it comes to Dr. King, I'm not sure that students should learn about his fallacies along with his amazing accomplishments - I would rather students have time, years of time, to reflect on his contributions to society rather than his failings in marriage.

But other examples prove more troubling. Mother Theresa would turn away people desperate for help if they wouldn't profess acceptance of Jesus. Thomas Jefferson kept slaves. James Brown apparently abused his wife.

My friend and I never resolved our debate... I'm sure to keep thinking about it even as I spend today reflecting on the life of a man who motivated many to be their best selves in the hopes of making America its best self.

No comments: