Monday, July 10, 2006

Stop with the whoring

This weekend, I got a package in the mail from friends in California - they're the spoiling types - the kinds of people who send a package of lots of little gifts so it feels like Hanukkah Harry delivered his gifts early (probably so he could go to his shiksa girlfriend's parent's house for Christmas, but whatever...). Along with a handmade bag and some smelly wax (in the good way) were a couple of buttons:
  • My bush makes love, not war
  • Stop with the warring, start with the whoring.
Both of which gave me a good giggle - the first one even went on my sweater du jour. But the second one... kinda bugged me. Not that I have a particular problem with whoring, especially Vegas style where the working folk are protected to an extent, but this war is all about whoring. This war should be renamed Operation Corporation Freedom or Operation Iraqi Market Shift.

Now you're going to call me a commie but stick with me. Let's think about who is truly benefiting from this war? The Iraqis? Please. America? While Iran is flexing its nuclear muscle - not likely.

How about Haliburton? Or Monsanto?

Bingo. Our administration has whored itself out to big business and thousands of our soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqis are paying the price.

I'm going to write "built by" on a little piece of tape and stick it on that button: Stop the warring built by whoring.

No comments: