Sunday, January 06, 2008

DC lobby... of the hotel variety

For the next hour or so, I will be camped out in the lobby of a DC hotel where I have spent the weekend with my friend/colleague Tamara. While she has attended a conference, I have alternately puttered around the area and holed up in our room to work on writing projects that often get thrown to the wayside in the face of life-as-usual.

Though I miss Rob and enjoyed Tamara's company in the evenings, I do find alone time in an unfamiliar city enormously appealing. I love setting out on my own to wander in circles; yesterday, I walked for miles, past several Starbucks, until I found an independent coffee shop with couches of brightly colored broken-in leather. They played muzak versions of popular rock songs, though at a volume that is normally reserved for actual rock. I also treated myself to a lunch of truly spectacular sushi at Sake Club, where I used my chopsticks clumsily while attempting to read a book (it is a book on personalities according to the Myers-Briggs, though I have found myself overly self-conscious because the title, Please Understand Me, suggests a self-help book, though I'm still not sure why I would care if strangers think I'm reading a self-help book).

After her day's sessions ended, Tamara and I wandered within a mile radius of our hotel, stopping for gin and tonics at an empty bar with an excellent jazz band, then onto an Ethiopian restaurant (make your own off-color joke about food in underfed Ethiopia) and dessert at yet another restaurant, where we were help captive for more than an hour by a waitress who refused to believe that we could not finish our buttery, rich sweets.

I'm looking forward to getting home tonight, to see my sweet and hunky hubby and our gaggle of pets, sleep in my own bed and jump feet first into this year for which I have so much hope and so many expectations. So far, it's off to a great start.

No comments: