Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A sad loss in Cindy Sheehan

I learned of Cindy Sheehan's resignation from the anti-war movement when I heard a "Holy shit..." from Rob's office this morning. I think he about sums it up.

When we met Cindy a few months ago - no, just one month ago - at the Greensboro anti-war rally happenings, I spent a fair amount of time thinking about how she exemplifies the power of one with more effectiveness that I have ever before personally witnessed. People of my generation have never experienced a real leader, a person who came from the people to motivate us towards following what we already know to be right deep down somewhere.

Of course she didn't end the war. Rob has doubts that we'll be fully out of Iraq within the next few decades; I am still holding out hope that when Bush vacates the White House (preferably by way of impeachment), whoever steps up to feed at the trough of almighty power will use their slop to bring our troops home.

Cindy made her voice heard, though - and that's a lot in this "fascist corporate wasteland" as she said in her Daily Kos blog post. She inspired me and I'm sure she did the same for thousands more. That mousy little voice of hers called for people to sit up and take notice and many of us did. She reminded us that protest in the street is among the rights still remaining and as such should be used to fight for the rights we are losing. She sent us home from the rallies to reevaluate our role in pushing America toward becoming the country it was meant to be: peaceful, inclusive, caring of our young people.

I can only imagine the nasty stomach ache that must accompany Cindy's decision to abandon her anti-war work... I can also imagine that she feels as though it abandoned her. And though I feel the loss of her leadership in a strangely personal way, I can't begrudge her her need to find some modicum of normalcy after what has no doubt been several painful years.

Thank you for giving us these few years, Cindy. Thank you for the reminders of how our country could be and that is truly the responsibility of the citizenry to be the ultimate check to governmental powers. Casey deserved better from his country but he did pretty damn good in the mom department.

I hope you find the peace you seek somewhere...

No comments: