Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Thanksgiving response

Generally, even when I don't get around to reading the whole paper, I check out the letters to the editor - they strike me as an inside peek at what people around Guilford County are thinking and often there's at least one that's comedy gold, whether the author intended it as such or not... But somehow I missed the counterpoint piece in the News & Record on November 25th entitled 'America is bad' routine grows boring, a response to my piece Thanksgiving comes with two sides.

I finally tracked it down in the archives, along with all the blogged chatter. I thought it was interesting that the author, Steve Gordon, chose to focus on my negative comments rather than the ultimate catharsis of enjoying Thanksgiving as a time to share with some of my favorite people. On the comment board, Hayes summed up my point succinctly by writing, "I don't understand why it so hard to see what a great nation we are and at the same time admit we are not perfect saints and that we have made mistakes and not be called left elitist for it."

What Gordon and the rest of the folks who have logged negative responses don't realize is that I enjoy those as much, if not more, than the supportive responses. Gordon doesn't get it and he won't because he's locked into a different view of patriotism than I am - I believe I can love America despite it's faults and he thinks loving America means ignoring its faults. But I got under his skin a little - I made him think about it at least long enough to write the piece and send it in. He probably even talked to a few people about it and felt really mighty and strong when he saw it in print.

I don't begrudge Gordon any of that - he can call me all the names he wants to but ultimately he's furthering my goal of creating dialogue. My thanks to Gordon, to the posters on the N&R blog and to you, for reading this now!

3 comments:

Roch101 said...

I always smile when someone begins an argument by criticizing the "educated elite." Super, let's hear the view of the uneducated moron.

It doesn't take long for Gordon to illustrate the absurdity of un-thinking opinion. In his third paragraph, he characterizes your opinion, published in a daily newspaper, as an example of "never publicly aired resentment of this country."

Um, yeah, okay Gordo. Educated elite or blathering bonehead? He makes the case.

Unknown said...

Since when did americans not Publicly air their resentment for this country.

Anonymous said...

Sarah: your Thanksgiving post was a mean spirited attack on the beliefs of many Americans who view that day with reverence.
You can compare it to a smaltzy dinner with friends and rail about those mean Europeans if that makes you feel superior. I don't think the purpose of your editorial was to discuss the meaning of Thanksgiving-only to mock those who find any religious meanings in it.